– THE TEN QUESTIONS –
1. What’s the first book you remember reading by yourself?
Sounds basic, but defiantly the Harry Potter books. Mum used to read chapters to us every night when we were younger, I was four when the first one came out. When I was old enough I started reading them on my own, the spine on my Goblet of Fire is beyond recovery.
2. What’s your favourite book?
Tess of the d’Urbivilles is a book that has had such a profound effect on me, I re-read it sparingly as for the following weeks I’ll do nothing but think of all the unanswered questions that it leaves.
3. Who is your favourite author?
Angela Carter, I’ve never read books with such creative language and vivid characters.
4. If you could have afternoon tea with one author who would it be?
I don’t know if this counts, as she’s more of a philosopher than anything, but Judith Butler. She pioneered the feminist theory of performative gender: that our genders are like hats that we put on each morning so that we are accepted by society. Gender Trouble questions the stability of everything we have normalised in terms of gender, biology and society.
5. If you could spend all night in a bar with an author, who would it be?
Allen Ginsberg and his literary mates, that would be a wild party.
6. Where is your favourite place to read?
On public transport and in the bath.
7. Who is your favourite book character?
Owl Eyes from The Great Gatsby, he has a small part to play in the book, but he seems to see straight through him from the start. His appearance at the funeral at the end shows that maybe he was the only one who ever saw the real Gatsby.
8. Which book universe would you like to live in?
Perhaps in ‘The Galaxy’ from The Hitchhiker’s Guide, pass me a towel! Either that or Hundred Acre Wood with all the cute animals.
9. Which book would you like to make compulsory reading?
Ain’t I A Woman by bell hooks.
10. What are you reading right now?
Desperately trying to finish Love in the Time of Cholera, I’m hoping for a sweet ending.
– THE END –
If you would like to feature in ’10 Questions for a Book Lover’ then please send your answers to these questions along with your name and a link to your blog to: email@example.com
Follow me on Twitter: @ByfordsBooks